Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mylar ribbons shine in the window in 1998.
Young intensity pours out the door onto the side walk.
 14 North Main hops with reggae music and dreadlocks.
The band from Tennessee, Temple Yard, takes 
a music break at That Phat Phish coffeehouse 
and signs willing palms and arms.

 
It is a warm summer night 
on the Carrollton downtown courthouse lawn.
Teenage cars circle the square.
The next alternative band to take the 
flatbed stage is Empire from Kansas City,
courtesy of That Phat Phish coffeehouse in 1998.

 
In this season of art, our coffeehouse staff  
rides a wave of excitement.
This works.

Inside there is popcorn and hot chocolate,
hanging out and being there. 

 
 
It is another Saturday night at the Phish....Kevin and his young friends ask me about the pictures made out of brightly-colored flattened cans, chunks of asphalt, a butterfly wing, painted shopping sack strips, a dirty knit glove, shiny Dorito bag liners, and silver glitter. 

 
 
I tell the kids to look at the collages 
and tell me what might be represented.
The answers they give bring me wonder and joy.

Blonde mop top Kevin 
stares for a minute
at a dirty glove 
surrounded
by dark dingy shapes 
at the bottom of the piece, 

and then at the orange orb above
floating in a sky of silver.
 "It is someone reaching up to the Lord," he says.

His sister Danielle says something about 
two blue hand shapes
with a teardrop of bright red 
on each palm
 outlined with silver glitter,
set against a purple background:

"They are the hands of Jesus."
She notes the telltale spots of red which represent the blood scars.

 
 Danielle doesn't miss a thing. 
When asked what the glitter might be 
she says plainly:
 "That's us!! 
We are in the wounds of Jesus. 
That is where he heals us."


Beautiful Fire by Karl Marxhausen, potato chip liners, plastic cup, ice bag remains, wristbands, and silver paint on panel, 17 by 11 inches, 1998.

In Roman times, when Christianity went underground, the drawn dirt outline of a fish indicated one was a follower of the risen rabbi from Nazareth, the Messiah, Yeshua, Jesus. It is 2011, and in the United States, the land of many open faiths, I say, Jesus is so P-H-A-T. He is Pretty Hot And Tempting. The Lover of my soul. He is beautiful fire. My joy, my savior, my peace, my defender, my strength, my deliverer, my provision, my rest, my rescue, my choice, the MORE, the YES, the LIGHT, the Smart Embrace.
Collage #4 by Karl Marxhausen, 17 by 11 inches, plastic, foil, knitted glove, squashed soda cans, felt, oil and acrylic paint on panel, 1998.
Elsewhere art exhibit, All Souls Gallery, 4501 Walnut, Kansas City, MO. November 6th to December 2nd, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment