Friday, July 22, 2016

went as planned - chicago

My wife and I enjoy watching Bizarre America Foods with Andrew Zimmerman. In planning our vacation route, I had us lined up to eat at The Publican Restaurant on 837 West Fulton Market, just off Interstate 90, in DOWN TOWN Chicago. A place featured on an episode we watched before our trip.

For Your Information:
On one of her trips out to visit Betty Larson in Los Angeles, my wife stopped to eat at Pink's hot dog stand. She also has eaten barbecue at Bludso's in Compton, California. Not I. Still I noticed when she brought these places up in conversation, that she had been KEEPING  TRACK  of all the places she had eaten at, especially the ones on the Food Network, or the Travel Channel, like Bizarre America Foods. We both enjoy seeing how other cultures eat and viewing exotic places on the show. Zimmerman seemed at home with foods and substance I would never dream of trying. How fitting it would be to EAT at A PLACE ZIMMERMAN had on TV. That gave me confidence to plan for this!!!!!


Since I was the driver, an important part of this story was our rush toward an UNCERTAIN destination. We had no idea WHEN exactly we could get to the site, the condition of the roads, the time traffic would take - but I did made us a reservation by phone the day before. A step of faith.

When we pulled into our motel in Schaumburg, a north west suburb of Chicago, we had hoped to be able to take a nap or go for a swim before going to our reservation. The desk clerk advised me: if I left in the next 20 minutes we would beat the rush hour traffic. It was 2:30 pm. Our reservation was 5:45 pm. So ----- we dropped our baggage at the room, jumped back in the car and hit the 290 interstate. A route that did not have roadwork being done on it, not like the Interstate 90 we had come in on. The normal traffic seemed a much faster pace than what we were used to in Missouri. We reached the restaurant by 4:00 pm. With no place to park I headed down Lake Street which followed under the elevated "L" train tracks to sight-see. Apparently I didn't count on that being as nerve-racking as it was. At one point we ended up in a dead end behind some big buildings. Soon we parked two blocks from the restaurant on a side street, so I could stretch my tired legs. At 5:25 the valet parked the car. At 5:30 we were seated inside.


The front door was all glass and hidden, until I found a handle and pulled the door open.


People sat at long tables and were served family style.
The waiter brought us "a menu" to look at, then told us that we were waiting on "the day's menu" that was due to come out shortly. Meals change from day to day. Ours was dated July 8, 2016.


Zimmerman encouraged his viewers to try something new. Saying: "If it looks good, try it." With the novelty of that show, the boldness and calmness that Zimmerman displayed, I decided I would eat something new for myself.

With 34 entrees to choose from, we decided which four sounded interesting, and which we were both willing to try. See sample menu at http://www.thepublicanrestaurant.com/dinner/

Instead of ordering the usual chicken or beef entree, we ordered four dishes, which came one plate at a time, from which we both ate. The dishes were made to order from the adjoining building. The Publican Quality Meats prided themselves preparing their own charcuterie. Simply, the preparation and regional seasoning of dressed meats. The way sausage is made depends on who is making it. Not knowing how little we'd be getting, we ordered a half plate portion between us.


Above dish, charcuterie plate, had salam d'la duja, pork pie, head chees, harissa pate, morteau sausage, pickles and mustard. Jan seemed to know more about what were we eating. You'd have to ask her. I enjoyed all the flavors.


No photo of next dish. Listed as "little gem lettuce" was created by the Werp Farms of Buckley, Michigan. With crispy pig ear, basil, radish and buttermilk vinaigrette.


Above dish, summer squash, created by Henry Brockman, of Congerville, Illinois. With walnut ailade, ubriaco rosso and mint.


Above dish, ling cod, created by Dottie of Santa Cruz, California. With mussels, green chile, potato and salsa verde.

I enjoy mussels now.


My wife told me the tab was more than a night's stay at a motel. We paid for the privilege to eat at THIS PLACE. I'm glad it worked. My cousin Steven Kiecker called this: a culinary experience.

Another part of this story came after we got back to the motel. The stress of riding in that kind of traffic had overwhelmed my wife. She objected  and was ready to go HOME. Just three days in on our ten day loop. Asked for prayers to save our marriage. Holding my breath, the next morning, suggesting we take a day off to do nothing, rest, stay in one place. She said she wanted to get on the road to Michigan. And we did. Thank the Lord for hearing the prayers and giving me grace.

Michigan cherry trees
 Fish Town docks, Michigan


 epilogue:

The next night we were at Muskigon, Michigan and I wanted to try MUSSELS again. At Red Lobster I ordered that and tried SCALLIONS too and that went well!!!

In Omena, Michigan, Dan and Amanda introduced me to a micro brew called "TWO  HEARTED  ALE." I've since asked a local business to ordered it in, and now it's in stock in Carrollton.

At Bluebird Restaurant in Leland, Michigan I tried walleye fillets. There was this dish with PEAS  AND  BOILED  PEANUTS. Filling and tasty, of course local.

Yes, going to the restaurant in Chicago was a highlight in our trip.

*******


No comments:

Post a Comment