Tuesday, December 13, 2011

try to do the kitchen litho

The last few days I had been gearing up to this. It was my turn to try "Kitchen Lithography." The video looked pretty straight forward. You simply gathered your materials, followed the steps, and you would have an inexpensive way to make repeatable hand-burnished prints. These would be items you could find in your kitchen, such as aluminum foil, oil, and water. (Double click on images to see larger)

     Well, there was more to the process than the video shows. See the results of my first try, above. That was Friday evening after work.

     The next morning, Saturday, I went online to learn more. There were several folks trying to unlock the steps to the same video. I picked up some tips from the kitchen litho thread posted at Inkteraction (http://www.inkteraction.ning.com). As a result I went out to buy an 8 inch aluminum flashing at Warren Lumber in our town. It was 85 cents per foot. I also bought 220 grit wet sandpaper and some heavy duty aluminum foil. That afternoon, after three hours of labor, here are the images I produced.
I was unhappy with these images. 
Let me show you some of the process.

(Above) Heavy duty foil, taped to backside of a pan, wet sanded with 220 grit sandpaper, flushed with water, blown dry with hair dyer, vinegar sensitized, dried, litho crayon drawn image, spritzed with water sprayer, skimmed very lightly with sponge, slowly inked with brayer (thin layer of oil paint), spritzed with water, skimmed lightly with sponge, inked again.

One secret is the 5 to 7 second coke etch, which is quickly rinsed with water. Click on short video.

I was used to working with water soluble products. Working with oil paint got my hands all messy. One useful tip was to wash my hands with toothpaste and that did the trick. I discovered that canola oil and a paper towel easily removed the oil paint on foil and the plexiglass plate I had underneath the flashing. A pair of disposable rubber gloves kept my hands clean. Click on video.

One Iowa participant, Aaron Scott, said that areas can be reworked, re-etched, and cleaned up. When my energy ran out Saturday afternoon, I gave it up. I would like to learn more. In the future I want to read more about the successes and get more tips from the online KLF club (Kitchen Litho Frustration club). 
Best efforts yet. Used petroleum jelly on prepared aluminum flashing.
Double click on images.

See what others are saying about Kitchen Litho below.
+
http://poppenga.blogspot.com/2011/11/aluminum-foil-etching.html



1 comment:

  1. Karl,
    Thank-you for the link!
    Also, I enjoyed your blog entry and dry humor regarding your try at the kitchen litho.
    I'm still planning to introduce the process to kindergarden through 8th grade students this coming spring. It should be interesting.
    I'll post a Follow to your blog on my blog. So glad you stopped by and left comment! I look forward to checking in on your progress with kitchen litho and your other printmaking projects as well. Stay in touch now and then.
    Cheers!
    - Carol

    ReplyDelete