Thursday, July 4, 2019

walk with long string -- drawing 2019


      One day when I was a student at the Seward Public High School -- some classmates of mine went with me at the City Park in Seward, Nebraska -- to walk with a long string. My father recorded the event. Double click on images to enlarge.


A follow-the-leader activity. Everyone holds on to the long string and goes for a walk.


 
City Park, Seward, Nebraska. Circa 1973. (photo by Reinhold Marxhausen)



My classmates Jeff Bowman and Herb Jensen lead the rest.


Three years later --- in 1976 I attended the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. I lived in a dormitory on 16th Street. The Centennial Educational Program was housed in Love Hall, next door to the Neihardt Residential Center. I took independent study classes thru Centennial.

On afternoon in 1976 --- a dozen students from that complex met together to go for a walk. A walk around the campus while holding a long string. Dubbed the "String Walk." It was ad-lib. Impulsive. Creative. Something us centennial-ites enjoyed doing. Laughing. Exploring.

There were no photographs of that outing.    It was spontaneous.

When I talked with Vicki Van Steenburg over the phone 43 years later -- the fun and excitement of my Centennial years came back to me. Energy from those wonderful memories egged me on to do a pencil composition at my desk.



Last month the inked 18 by 24 inch illustration was complete and mailed to the planning committee in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Here are portions of that work.



 (rampark parking garage and elevator. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019)



(up and down front steps of Nebraska state capitol. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019)




(front door to back door, through department store. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019) 



 (the string itself. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019)




(going through Nebraska football fans, outside the Lincoln stadium. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019)




(starting at the beginning, front steps of the Centennial College. Ink on paper. Karl Marxhausen. 2019)


Two ink works will be on display in Love Library on the campus of the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Centennial College Reunion will be held October 11 and 12, 2019.

The two day reunion with full details CLICK here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment