Monday, February 27, 2017

crumbling plastic torn down - studio

On November 2016 while I was assembling collage materials in my studio, I noticed much of the clear plastic dangling from the ceiling, all ratty-looking. I would look into tearing it down at some future point.


History:  The shed was built by me after the closing of the Christian coffeehouse late in 1999. Some will remember the weekend rock bands and the 16 month run at That Phat Phish. Board member Curtis Fisher had built the stage. The stage was released into my care when the non-profit closed its doors. It was put on blocks and became the floor of my studio.


Hard rock Empire band members on Phat Phish flatbed, courthouse lawn, during summer of 1999, Carrollton, Missouri. Double click to enlarge.


Above, student Danielle Sullivan gets autograph from keyboardist of reggae band Temple Yard on Phat Phish stage, 1998.

Fatal Subconscious, punk band members from Kansas City, pose for photo, 1998
The stage came apart in two sections. These were rearranged, put on blocks and became the floor of my studio.


Plywood walls went up. Southern light plexiglas windows. A slanted corrugated tin roof with skylight.


I built-in overlapping flanges around the door that helped shut out the cold.


The entire inside walls and floor were covered with clear plastic.


A heated oil space heater hooked up from the house provided enough heat in the winter months.


Later on I experimented with large pieces of the solid pink insulation up against the corrugated tin roof. Cut to fit around the edges and rafters.


In 2000 when I began doing landscapes in acrylic I used the shed as a studio plenty. As I gained confidence over the years, I have painted and created outdoors as well.

The shed came in handy in January of 2016 when I needed an enclosed space to vanish my paintings. (Double click to enlarge images)



Three minutes.

In 2007 there was a period when I did art inside the house which had its own heat. First in the blue room (above) and another time the kitchenette area (below). The woodcut and printmaking was in the house.


You know, an art space is where ever you can find one. Push stuff aside and make a spot to do it.

That said, the shed space has also been used to store the lawn mower and pool equipment.


In December 2016 I took action and took down shelves and metal brackets. The dust mask was a must as I pulled off all the clear plastic. It crumbled in my hands. The way it disintegrates after a time. See before and after.


The solid insulation panels above were not staying up. Coming loose, falling down. I put down some ideas on paper. There would be more to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment