Monday, July 25, 2016

swallow with water

My swallowing problem continues to be an eating issue. It happens when I am not paying attention to the food I put in my mouth. Jan sez she has seen me put large portions in and then swallow. Shoveling it in.

We called it a night in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Our travel loop taking us back towards Missouri. I never did finish the delicious ribs on my plate. I don't know what the condition is called, but I was unable to swallow. I couldn't swallow liquids, and I got this hiccup. It was very awkward and made me feel totally insecure and self-conscious. I excused myself to the restroom and tried to calm down. My glands were making much saliva to spit into the sink. Was able to throw up some of what I ate.

It reminded me of some lunch episodes when I was still working for the Chillicothe School District in 2012. Not being able to swallow stopped my routine and kept me in the bathroom, trying to figure it all out.

Back in the car, Jan prayed for my esophagus muscles to relax. Later, that night I was able to swallow.

A sore throat limited my morning meal to a chocolate shake. That evening my wife coaxed me to eat small bites, chew each bite, and swallow. It worked but I was hesitant.

The next day in Springfield, Illinois I was eating a chunk of hot roast beef for lunch and then I was in trouble again. This time I stopped and waited ---- until it went down ---- all the way. Then I focused on CHEWING my food. Jan recommended I chew small bites.

Then, we were home in Missouri, and four days later in Kansas City, the THROAT THING happened again. None of that meal was finished. I threw up more in the bathroom sink that time.

So --- when I eat -- I am drinking PLENTY OF WATER FIRST and also while I eat. Water helps.
I try to be mindful. SLOW DOWN. Focus on eating only.
STOP WRITING when I eat.
STOP TEXTING when I eat.
CHEW my bites. Pay attention to it, the flavors.
Take SMALL bites.

Some meals go better than others. At sixty-one years of age you would think I automatically followed those steps. Well, no. It is something I will work on each time I eat.

***




No comments:

Post a Comment