Wednesday, July 20, 2016

suite beside waterfall - elkader iowa

Our longest drive was by far the first Tuesday, from north central Missouri to the northeast corner of Iowa. The computer projected six hour drive was really nine hours on the road. It was after dusk when we passed by Geisert's salmon-colored storefront on Main Street. Standing alone, looking like he was enjoying the night air before retiring, his glasses absent from his face, we glided silently passed his studio.


Owner Mary Klint met us at the entrance of her stone mill retreat, the Riverside Cooperage. Family friend and illustrator Arthur Geisert had recommended the place, and Klint showed us the front room of the Doctor Suite, bedroom, and bathroom. Outside meshed with the A/C unit you could hear the roar of the Turkey River Falls.


In 2005 Klint converted Dr. Hommel's medical office into a unique retreat. During renovation she discovered the original stone walls of the Cooperage Mill. In our suite she had tastefully kept medicine cabinets, a display of aluminum dental impression trays, a dental chair, and other fixtures to remember its earlier history. With my history of going to the orthodonist when I was young, I found the decorative touches to be amusing.


I tiptoed out Wednesday morning in hopes to find something to paint. The keystone bridge across the Turkey River reminded me of pictures I had seen of the Seine River in Europe. Alas, after looking through foliage on the far side of the river, even getting permission for a view from someone's balcony, I did not paint. It was worth walking on foot, viewing the river, seeing the inside of the courthouse - although I was told the best view was in the winter after the leaves had fallen off the trees. I chatted with a gal on the bridge, whose brothers had remodeled the interior of Geisert's Main Street studio. As the driver for the trip I decided my energy was better saved for driving. Was not the right time to paint. That came later when we were in Omena, Michigan.
        

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment