Wednesday, November 27, 2013

herb brokering

1990 Shaliach members top to bottom:
Mrs. Jan Marxhausen (Missouri)
Kenyon Hathaway (Minnesota)
Ase Lill Frigstad (Norway)
Eddie Aliaga (California)
Reiko Shimizu (Osaka, Japan)
Tim Illick (Maryland)
Nino Patino (Bolivia, South America)
Mr. Karl Marxhausen (Nebraska)
Nine month tour map, below.

My wife Jan and I met with Herb Brokering (ABOVE) in Minneapolis, when our music team sang there in 1990.

He was a friend of my father, Reinhold Marxhausen. Both men were into the NEW and the FRESH of God when it came to Lutheran worship. He was on the faculty at Holden Village .(http://www.hymnary.org/person/Brokering_HF?tab=tunes) and has several poetry recordings in their audio collection (http://audio.holdenvillage.org/node/679).



I found this 10 minute video on Youtube of him reading poetry.

This week I began reading his collection of poems, from a book my father once owned. It is amazing how something penned 46 years ago can speak to me right now, in Carrollton, Missouri. Here is that poem from "Lord, If --" book, 1977, Concordia Publishing House. After which, our my own impressions.

Lord,
if
by Moses You put Your hand on waters
to part them,
and if You lower Your voice into the deep of oceans,
raise and call those drowned,
then
You can get through to me
with Your hand and voice
and power.                         
(herb brokering)

In the privacy of my mind,
this same Voice, that moved Moses to lead others,
intrudes with fresh phrases of His arrival 
from this handful of young believers.
Overwhelming my senses,
clenched eye muscles squeeze hot tears,
seismic interruption,
here and
here,
yes, you are at work. Yes,
ripping into my awareness.
breathless.
(karl marxhausen)

No comments:

Post a Comment