Tuesday, May 2, 2017

3308 flag

Tuesday, April 18th, went off without a hitch. When I pulled up to the Kansas City studio on Troost Avenue, the owner had my pieces waiting for me to load.


In 2011 my friend Lori Buntin offered to store my larger works. I am grateful she has.

I met Buntin and saw her paintings when she was at the Arts Incubator, 929 North 15th Street. The spot was a favorite place for Jan and I to visit on First Friday evening art hops in the Crossroad District. There were many art studios to look at and many steps to climb. Buntin's subjects were swimming pools, electric wires against the sky and she used lots and lots of aqua. A color I was intrigued with and wished to someday use myself.


Buntin and a jewelry maker Cathryn Simmons supported my art.

In February 2003, when my work showed at the New Works Gallery with the Kansas City Artists Coalition, the pair bought a painting from me. Above, "Sonata In Blue." 

It wasn't long before Buntin launched her own work space in the Troost area. Buntin and Simmons teamed up and renovated a warehouse on the east side, creating spaces for other artists to rent. In 2007 Hoop Dog Studios opened its doors.
You can see photos of their garden on their website. Jan and I stopped by to check it out. The enthusiasm to renovate and start new plant cuttings reminded me of my mother Dorris. She was gung-ho to plant trees.

The Kansas City Artists Coalition used to sponsor a city-wide art event called Open Studios. Artists pooled together. City maps with locations were posted. 
 
Art lovers came out meet the artists and see their work. I joined with others at Leawood in 2002 - Union Street in the West Bottoms in 2004, and at the Hoop Dog Gallery in 2008. 

Lori looked over the acrylic landscapes I had been doing. She was enthralled. She showed me how to make the pieces look even better with frames. I was impressed. 


 She became my framer for that show. More photos from that particular opening in 2008, next. Double click to enlarge.  







2008 left to right: Jan Marxhausen, Lori Buntin, Cathryn Simmons 


See ABOVE:

Buntin reinforced the back on larger works on mine. Cradled backing made a painted panel stand out from the wall and gave it a presence.



In 2012 when I did the linoleum reduction cut print and other woodcut prints for the Albrecht-Kemper Invitational, Lori did an excellent presentation for each. Mats, glass, and frames. I recommend her work!!!!!!

Which brings me back to the present and April 18th, 2017. It had been a while since I had viewed the oyster shell paintings. Works from sixteen years ago. Now THAT is RETRO!!! My remarks on one of the pieces from that bunch.

Below, leaning against the tailgate of my pickup.




 
Thank you Lori for bring works down from the rafters in the warehouse. (Are you related to Spiderman??) For helping me hoist into the back of the truck. For your useful cardboard between works. Thank you both for the storage you provide. Your encouragement every time we meet. Your appreciation. And your friendship as one artist to another. Blessings to you both in 2017 and beyond.


















No comments:

Post a Comment