Tuesday, February 9, 2016

hood easel

    Yesterday, Friday, was the thrill of looking down the length of Moss Creek --catching the cradled leafy bowl and distant feathered limbs on the far bank. Before heading home I had scoped out some scenes that paralleled County Road 211. There was this lattice of color.

Most of the leaves hung on it were still green, others were turning yellow for Fall. I did not want the menagerie to stand isolated. To see the span of water behind it, I figured I would like to get the apparatus, the easel and paint kit, as high as I could. Perhaps I could sit on top of the truck cab. It had worked back in 2006, when I painted "View From The Top Of My Cab," next.

It would be worth a try. Hope I have energy tomorrow. "God, if you want me to do this, get me up early. Give me the ideas I need and the power to carry them out. Thank you, Jesus."

Excited. After going to bed too early I stayed up later and hot milk helped me sleep. I was up before 6 Saturday morning. After yogurt, loaded the truck 6:30. Forty degrees out. Arrived on site 7:49. Set up on the cab. Started 8:20. By 12:00 pm noon I was finished. First I named it "Trees on East Bank, Moss Creek." Later, it was re-named "Moss Creek No. 5."

The canvas is large enough to begin with. Let alone hoisting it up. I wanted to seat myself on top of the F-150 cab roof, next.

Supplies, easel, paint kit, water bottle, rags -- it was all in the back of truck. There was much climbing up and over. Lifting. Figuring. Then I used blue painter's tape to secure the legs of the easel to the hood. It worked. Thank you, Jesus.

Imagine standing on the hood, holding the wooden easel out in front of you, and then --how do you push out the back set of legs and keep your balance? Thank you, Jesus, for helping me.

EasYL tripod sat below the canvas.

     It turned out the truck was the right height to view the whole tree, from the tiptop down to the water and grass below. Excellent!!!!! Thanks for the ideas and for keeping me safe, Jesus.  The easel stayed in place and did not fall over. Thank you, Jesus. The truck was parked on the grass so that farm vehicle could safely pass. The safety cones are a great way to signal traffic to slow down when I paint by a road. They do slow down.
     As for the far bank, I painted the trees closer on the left side of the tree, and made the treeline recede into the distance of the right side of the tree. See next photo of receding trees.
 

The lattice of dashes were in view.

Lights on darks.
Here are stages from the start to finish. What changes do you notice?


The painting was completed on Saturday, October 17, 2015.

It is currently on view at the Kansas City Artists Coalition, 201 Wyandotte, #105, in Kansas City, Missouri  till February 20th of 2016. On the 20th, this work will be auctioned off along with works for other Kansas City artists to benefit the KCAC.

For more about the 33rd Annual Art Auction, click on http://www.oaiauctions.com/auction/245317/annual-kansas-city-artist-coalition/











No comments:

Post a Comment